Forum Jar
Forum Jar : Abaqus Forum : Buckling of the Column with some Crookedness
See other topics in Abaqus Forum

Abaqus Forum
Important rules for using Abaqus Forum
• No offensive words are allowed in this forum.
• To prevent spams, you must not use the words "http" ".com" or "/"(slashes) in this forum.

Alert! Please do not buy anything or pay anyone on this forum. Scammers have been reported on our forum. Please also do not go to any links posted on here. We have been reported about links to websites that contain viruses. Thank you.

Topic: Buckling of the Column with some Crookedness

I need to model the buckling process of an I-column with some imperfection. I learned that I have to run Eigenvalue analysis first then use resulting deformed shapes as an initial crookedness for Riks analysis (including some scale factors).

I made all these steps for different columns however got stuck every time when the Riks analysis was not converged for the run when imperfection included.

My first question is about the type of elements that should be chosen for this problem. I picked 3D beam elements (B31) but recently noticed that my Eigenvalues are not correct for 3D case. When I run the model with 2D beam elements, Abaqus gives me shapes and buckling loads exactly like I expect them. When I run the same model with B31, Linear Perturbation analysis gives me strange results: the deformed column has unexpected shape and some torsion occurs. I have no idea why it happens. May be B31 is not the appropriate element type for this problem? What would be the best element for this situation?
Many tutorials describe double-symmetrical shapes and I have an I-Shape column with pin-roller boundary conditions.

I would appreciate any advice!

by Natasha Fri Aug 23 03:54:47 UTC 2013
Post a new comment

Name (optional):

By posting a comment, you indicate that you have agreed to our terms of use.

Feel adventurous? Check out random forums on Forum Jar!
Related Forums
Commercial software Forum
Finite element analysis Forum
Dassault Systemes S.A. Forum
Open-source Forum
Python (programming language) Forum
Fox-toolkit Forum
GUI Forum
Automotive industry Forum
Aerospace Forum
Industrial product Forum
Multiphysics Forum
Piezoelectric Forum
Elastomer Forum
ABAQUS, Inc Forum

sponsored links: free polls | free chat rooms (weirdtown chat) | widgets for myspace | make chat room | free chat room list | review websites | snowboard or ski | chat vocab

terms of use | privacy policy
©2011 All rights reserved.